Friday, July 1, 2011

Never let 'em see you sweat and, obviously, never let 'em see you frown

These past couple of weeks have been difficult for me. I lost my job and have had to deal with some personal issues.
In the process of coming to terms with all of this, I also discovered something else ... some people just don't like to deal with a depressed person.
People are used to seeing a smiling, joking, jovial Eric. So having to deal with a less happier Eric, it seems, doesn't suit too well. For a lot of reasons, this one in particular, I usually choose to keep the upset, miserable, depressed Eric deep down inside and simply let the world see the upbeat, crazier version of myself.
I'm happy with the zany version, for the most part. People love to laugh, and I love to make people laugh. Being the life of the party is fun, anyway. And who wouldn't want to be the life of the party, right?
So that's what I'm going to do - just smile, laugh, and take Asbury Park by storm. Take Asbury Park by storm? Not sure if that's going to happen. But I'm sure as hell going to take the words to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' hit song, "Tears of a Clown" and put it to good use.
So that's my plan. And I don't want to be walking around Asbury Park and hanging out, having to let people know what's on my mind. Do people really want to know? And if I'm smiling and joking, people won't think anything is wrong in my world anyway.
I'll make sure I'm always smiling and laughing, as I know this is what people love to see. This is something I want to do. I think it'll make me feel better and allow others to feel better as well, especially since it's 4th of July weekend and it's time to party.
Now where's my jello shot?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment