Sunday, April 10, 2011

Was it just a dream, or was she trying to pass along her pearls of wisdom?

I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those men who wears his heart on his sleeve.
You see, I've entered into a liaison - of sorts - with a man who I thoroughly enjoy and love spending time with as much as I possibly can. We have so much in common and he makes me smile, just by looking at me. And just when his hand touches mine, it's like electricity runs through me. The connection is extremely strong, and I even enjoy getting his text messages when we can't see each other.
Very recently, a slow song came on the radio and we just started to dance - right where we were standing. I'm sure that doesn't mean too much to some people, but that type of romantic move is something I don't usually do. I always thought doing that was somewhat hokey and lame, but I don't think that way anymore. He just, literally, swept me off my feet.
Sounds like something you only find in chick flicks or those romantic-comedy movies when the lead characters end up together in the end, after experiencing some bumps in the road and missed connections. Right?
Well that won't happen to us; we won't end up together when all is said and done. I won't go into the details why I know this will not be our destiny. Just believe me when I say that we won't end up together. I'm not being a cynical, pessimistic romantic, either. It's just the way life will happen for us.
I've had this situation on my mind a lot lately. I guess that's why I had the dream that I had last night. Although I'm not sure if it was a dream or a message.
I had a dream about my mother. As most who follow my blog already know, my mother passed away in October. I think she was giving me a message, possibly some advice, about things. I just can't recall a lot of it and I've been trying to piece it together. But I figured that I might not be able to discover the intent of the message, or if it's a message at all.
So I went about my business today. I went to boot camp (which was a real kick in my ass to get in gear). I heard the songs, "Rock Steady" by Aretha Franklin and "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. These were two of the songs that my mother used to play on Sunday mornings on her record player, I believe to get the house in good spirits. I thought it was weird to hear those songs back-to-back, but I chalked it up to just coincidence. When I sing these songs, especially for karaoke, I feel very close to my mother.
Then I went to Munch in Asbury Park to get a little breakfast. Then something odd happened. A friend of mine came in and mentioned to me that he was down Atlantic City, played the slots and didn't win. He went to the Borgata, which was my mother's place of gambling. Another person had mentioned that he was going down today and would be hanging out at Harrah's, which was my mother's other place to gamble in A.C.
It was almost as if my mom was trying to get a message to me again this morning. But I can't figure it out.
Maybe something will happen to clear a path to my understanding. Perhaps Mom is trying to offer me some words of her wisdom.
Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment