Wednesday, October 5, 2011

This week is definitely filled with highs and lows I'll have to deal with

This week is one of the best and worst for me.
I'm not sure how it worked out that way, but this first week of October is turning out that way.
Sunday was a pretty good day. I went to an Employee Drag Show at the local gay bar, Georgie's. It was very entertaining, as I got to see a few people who I know very well in a whole different light. So many of them did a great job, including my friend's performance as Della Gates. A lot of people were commenting that he needs to try out for RuPaul's Drag Race, as his stage presence was so stellar. He, and a few others, definitely have a career to fall back on.
Monday I decided to stay in. Well it wasn't exactly my choice; my apartment endured some damage from this past summer's hurricane and my building's super had to come and work on it. Did he show up? No he didn't. To top that off, one of my friends got on my nerves about something so stupid that I'm just glad he wasn't in front of me because I would have yelled at him and said something I probably would have regretted in hindsight.
Tuesday was a day I'd been waiting a while to get here. That was the day I was going to head to New York City and see my first Broadway show, "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", with one of my best friends. My first Broadway show ever! Boy, I was excited. And it didn't disappoint, because I had an awesome time. I actually couldn't believe how much fun I had. So much fun that I just might find myself addicted to Broadway shows.
So as Tuesday was the high point of my week, Thursday will be the opposite. I'm not really looking forward to dealing with Thursday. But then again, I haven't been looking forward to this particular Thursday for the last 364 days.
Thursday is the one-year anniversary of my mother's passing. I've missed her like you wouldn't believe, and although I knew she was in poor health when she died, I just wasn't prepared for her dying. When she died, my mother took a big part of me with her. This past year I'd been searching for a loving man, hell any man, to help fill a huge void in my life. Most of these guys were not even worth my time and energy.
So six months ago I made the decision to hold off from any casual sex until I found the guy who was worth me and my whole self. No one would get the goods until they prove they deserve them. Some people may think that's a bit drastic but these past months I've been feeling like I've been settling way too much. I felt like my mother was trying to deliver a message to me and let me know that even though she wasn't around anymore to give my potential partner the seal of approval, she'd already given me all the tools I need to give the seal of approval myself.
I'm not sure how I will deal with Thursday. I do know one thing - for those who know me or know others who know me, just a word of caution ... I won't be putting up with anyone's drama, attitudes or hassles. If anyone puts me through any of it, I'll be cutting them out of my life with the quickness. Just as my mom believed - I'm at an age that I really don't have to put up with anyone's chaos and don't need to curb my opinions so as to save anyone's feelings.
Perhaps it's about time I put that motto into effect. The ones who love me and are close friends and confidantes will remain true; the others will fall away.

No comments:

Post a Comment