Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hey twink, you've got years to grow before reaching your elders' level

Every now and again, something I encounter in the gay community really cracks me the hell up.
Now most people who know me are well aware that I love to laugh, even at things that are not really politically correct.
But I seem to always encounter a particular person in the gay community who just boggles my mind. I am always so glad and fortunate when the young gayz come into their own and are able to express themselves by finding their space in the community - and their own skin.
And as I've come into my own in the gay community, I've always thanked my older gayz who have paved the way for me and have taken me under their wing and made me feel comfortable.
So I've always tried to do the same. But I think there are some young gayz, admirably called "twinks", who are just out of control. A few of them need to brace themselves and not make an overt effort to show others that they are seasoned in the community, when it's painfully obvious they are not.
Don't get me wrong - I love the young ones who are finding their own in the community. But please, I beg of you - don't try to step over the older ones who have made it easier for you to be your grand 'ol gay self! And above all else, don't make a feeble effort to throw shade and be disrespectful.
This past Sunday, I turned 44. And I'm proud of it because I don't look it. Thankfully, black don't crack! I was treated on my birthday by having to suffer through a rowdy group of twinks demonstrating how tragic they could be. Now at first I loved seeing their enthusiasm. But as the night progressed, their obnoxious nature just grated on my nerves.
So my friend and I figured it was time to show them how being fabulous, honoring the true divas in song and on stage, should be done. I think showing them how it should be done caused gthem to retreat and leave. Mission accomplished, and let's hope they figure out how to truly honor the musical divas who us gayz have loved for years and years. I'm sure they will; I have faith in them ... I think.
But actually, the catalyst for this blog entry was not only the group I've mentioned. It was my encounter with a tragic twink who continually prances around Club Paradise and Georgie's (two established gay establishments) like he's been here for decades. He hasn't earned his stripes yet.
What made me chuckle was that he had "relations" with my friend, and for some reason he thought this made him part of MY world. No, sadly young buck, it doesn't. So after running into him a couple times later and briefly saying "hi" to me, he got upset that his name wasn't drilled into my head.
Really??? He told me his name in passing, and me - having a couple (or few) martinis, I had no idea what he said his name was. I mean, young twink, you didn't have sex with me, so did I really need to remember your name?
So he storms off in a huff, all pissed at me that I didn't remember his name. I just broke out in laughter because if he wanted to know how I had remembered him, he would have been really upset. The reason - I'd been referring to him as "Bookbag boy", and if he wanted me to call him that when he questioned me about his name, I sure enough would have done it.
Lesson to the young gayz under 23 trying to find their own way in the community - don't think that you've put in enough time in the struggle for gay equality and redemption to step to the older gayz, 'cause you haven't.
Your time will come ... just hold your horses, earn the respect and learn from your elders.

1 comment:

  1. To this day, I have the most respect for those who taught me the way of the gay. And I hope the young ones can only learn from us the same way, in how we act and treat each other. And for those who want to challenge us; well, we will crush you with one look and put you in your place (because we love you and you need to learn).

    ReplyDelete