Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The next drag superstar competition

I've been trying to get a project off the ground for a little over a year, and I think it's time it has taken wings.
Not only would it promote camaraderie in the community, but it would also be a positive effort to raise money to help those hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. I've mentioned this to a few people, but of course, I'm not a successful event planner or promoter. So maybe someone will help me get this off the ground.
There are some good drag competitions in Asbury Park, and I love to see a good drag show. I think drag queens are some of the most talented performers in our generation. The way they move, glide, dance, lip-sync, and sweat a crowd into a frenzy is just mesmerizing. Club Paradise, La Sierra and Georgies have some amazing drag performances - which is what initially prompted the idea. That, and drag superstar RuPaul, of course.
It would be amazing to have a drag competition where five gay men in Asbury Park and the Shore area who have never done drag before in their lives were to compete over a four-week period, knocking off a competitor each week, until they reached the top spot.
The added feature to this competition would be for each novice to be mentored by five accomplished drag queens in the area. Not only would the last drag queen standing receive a financial reward, but the mentor of the ultimate winner would receive a financial reward as well.
Each competitor could canvass New Jersey to get some sponsors and perhaps whatever we were able to raise would be a great thing to donate to rebuild Asbury Park after Hurricane Sandy's destruction.
The competition could have three judges, certain individuals who are well-versed in the world of drag, style and entertaining. It would also need a host(ess) for the stage. There are a few people who I think would be perfect for these roles.
Believe it or not, drag fascinates me, and I would really consider being one of the contestants. There are some people who think that this gay man is too masculine to do drag. They might be right. But that would be the intricate part of this whole thing, and it would be the ultimate challenge for the mentors - turning someone butch into a lovely, mesmerizing drag queen.
I think that a competition such as this would be just what Asbury Park needs to start to get over this latest tragedy named Sandy.
Now like I said, I'm in no means an event planner. But I would love to be one of the competitors. Just to say that I've done drag - one item on my bucket list complete.
And just because I dressed as Serena/Venus Williams and Tootie from "The Facts of Life", that was in no way, shape or form drag.
And hey, I know the perfect person to be my mentor!
I'm game to make this happen. I want to definitely see if we can get this done, and ... May the best woman win!

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I think this is a fabulous idea. I'm down for supporting if i can.

    ReplyDelete