Friday, October 19, 2012

This weekend it's all about leather

The next three days will be a big weekend for the leather community.
Tonight kicks off the NJ Leather Weekend, featuring the Mr and Ms NJ Leather Contest. To find out the weekend's festivities, check out the attached link in the previous sentence.
The Leather family is a huge part of the gay community - no new news there. They have always been.
And I absolutely adore them. I will share something that I've never divulged.  Before I fully came out of the closet, I was curious and intrigued by the leather family within the gay community. I didn't know what to think, or if I'd ever have anything in common with the leather family. I figured that I'd be so unfamiliar with anything leather that I'd feel so awkward. And I didn't think they would ever make me feel welcome.
I couldn't have been more wrong!
The leather family brings a happiness out of me, and not only because they are extremely friendly and open to allowing everyone feel like they are a part of their family. I guess to put it into its simplest terms - the family's passion and spirit is intoxicating.
I've made pretty good friends with a number of the members of the leather family, and some actually call me "Tootie". For those who don't know, I dressed as precocious teen Dorothy "Tootie" Ramsey from "The Facts of Life" for last year's Halloween festivities, and some members of the leather family were at the same party.
To make it plain, if you are not familiar with the family, make it a point to get to know them. When I attended last year's Leather Weekend, I had so much fun.
This past Gay Pride Weekend in Asbury Park, the place that I bartend, Hotel Tides Restaurant & Spa, held a pool party for the leather family that Sunday. It was packed, and everyone was having a blast. Then the rain came. And as it poured outside, everyone converged inside. As the only bartender working inside that day, and seeing how many people were waiting for drinks and there were wall-to-wall patrons, for a minute I panicked.
But so many people, instead of being upset that they had to wait on being served, they helped me out instead. See, many subdivisions within the gay community would not have cared to assist me, but the leather family did whatever they could to help me out. When former Ms. NJ Leather and fellow bartender Lisa jumped behind the bar to help me out in any way that she could, she was a Godsend. And many others helped out as well.
To make a long story short, I am blessed and proud to say that I know so many members of the leather family, and they are a true family in every sense of the word. So come out and support the family this weekend, celebrate their accomplishments ... and wear some leather.
Personally I haven't worn any leather yet, but you just might be surprised to see me in some very soon!

A complete rundown of this weekend's festivities, courtesy of their Facebook event page:


DRAGONSLAIR Productions and the NJ Leather Family present NJ Leather Weekend featuring the NJ Leather Contest. It all starts on Friday Oct 19 with our annual Uniform/Gear party and our Meet and Greet. The weekend will be packed with educational events, parties, bootblacks, and as always hundreds of the hottest leather men and women from all over the Mid-Atlantic and North East.  Of course the highlight of the weekend will be the Mr and Ms NJ Leather Contest on Saturday Oct 20. ** Contest will be ASL interpreted **

Ms & Mr NJ Leather 2013 will each receive:
* A Trophy, medallion and $500 Travel Fund courtesy of DRAGONSLAIR Productions;
* A custom sash donated by Rawhides Custom Leathers;
* An original back patch, title vest, medallion holder and a $250 gift certificate from the Leatherman NYC;
* A digital photo shoots by Pete Philomey;
* A package to Chesapeake Leather Awareness Pride Weekend (CLAP) donated by Hooker & Boys;
* 10 hours of American Sign Language (ASL) classes (via Skype) taught by Michelle Jackson, Ms World Leather 2005;
* A pair of tickets to Philadelphia Leather Pride Night compliments of PLPN;
* A Paradise VIP Card;
* A $100 gift certificate to La Chateau Exotigue;
* An evening in the Personal play space of Mistress Mir and mj;
* A one year complimentary Associate Membership to the Jersey boys of Leather.

Ms NJ Leather 2013 will receive an IMsL/IMslBB Run package
Mr NJ Leather will receive a custom made harness from FM Leather Design
The First Runners up will receive a ticket to Philadelphia Leather Pride Night
Each contestant will receive a book from Tim Brough

NJ Leather Weekend Featuring the Mr & Ms NJ Leather 2013 contest Schedule of Events:

Friday Oct 19 6:30 to 8:30: “Opening Reception for Leather Women and their Friends” in honor of Ms NJ Leather 2012, Fidget, hosted by the Jersey Amazons Paradise Lobby Bar
8:30 to 11:30: Meet & Greet/Uniform/Gear Party Paradise Lobby Bar
11:30: introduction of Judges & Contestants on stage Paradise Copper Bar
Saturday Oct 20 11 am: a display from the Carter/Johnson Leather Library Paradise Copper Bar
Venders featuring the Leatherman NYC starting at 1 pm Paradise Lobby Bar
11 am to 3 pm: Jersey Kollege Of Kink Paradise Copper Bar
11 am: Leather History, Tradition & Evolution
Noon: Puppy Play with Scruffy
1pm: Food Fetish Demo by Dave Watt
2 pm: Making it HOT with Jeff Tucker
3 to 5 pm (weather permitting): Poolside Cigar Party hosted by the Jersey boys of Leather
6 pm: Contest doors open Paradise Main Room
6:30 pm: Parade of Colors
The Contest will be followed by DAMNED the after party featuring DJ John Michael Di Spirito
Sunday Oct 21 11 am: Recovery Meeting Paradise
Noon to 2 pm: Victory Brunch Paradise/TABU
3 pm: Charity BINGO with David Hoffman and Lady Marisa to benefit Mr Friendly and the Title Holder Travel Fund, held at Georgie’s, located at 5th and Memorial Drive 

No comments:

Post a Comment