Friday, January 25, 2013

Shall we dance at the prom?

I've always loved to dance. It's my own personal way of giving the finger to people and things that piss me off, falling into my own world and escaping into happiness.
Hell, some people joke with me that all I need is my scarf as my dancing partner. And truth be told, my scarves are my favorite dancing partners - I always know who leads, they don't bump into me or step on my feet, and they don't try to talk to me while I'm dancing the night away.
But apart from my scarf, I think my favorite dance is wearing a fancy tuxedo and slow dancing to one of my favorite love songs. That's one of the reasons why I think a prom is one of the most romantic events in a person's life.
The prom. Well, I never went to my senior prom. Believe it or not, I did have a girlfriend in high school, and sad to say, she broke up with me the week before our prom. I tried to find a replacement, but in the end I chose to avoid going to the prom. Showing up dateless was just something you didn't do, and although Molly Ringwald's character in "Pretty in Pink" chose to go to her prom solo after her boyfriend, played by sexy Andrew McCarthy, broke it off with her right before their prom, I wasn't as brave.
So I've always had a fantasy of going to the prom with the man of my dreams and dancing the night away in each other's arms. I know it's sappy, but they didn't call me Pollyanna without a reason.
So my goal is possibly a bit difficult to accomplish, but I want to accomplish it anyway ...
I want the gay community to throw a prom. I want to put together one of the most fabulous evenings for the community, and all people will be able to go and feel comfortable.
I think it would be one of the most romantic moments in our lives, and who doesn't love a little romance, right?
I want to find the best place to hold it, possibly either Club Paradise of Hotel Tides. I'm really excited about this because I think this is something that everyone would enjoy. Some people weren't able to attend their own proms in high school for many different reasons, or if they did, they couldn't attend with the person who they really wanted to go with because they were of the same sex, and it would be a way of making up for lost time.
I know there are people who don't believe in romance anymore, but just think how a evening like this would allow the cynics to maybe rethink their feelings and believe in romance again. And maybe this could be the perfect opportunity for someone who hasn't yet made that romantic move to finally ask that guy or girl to the prom. I know, I'll always and forever be a Pollyanna ... I get it.
Hopefully this can happen and it will turn out to be the best night ever.
So, shall we dance at the prom?

No comments:

Post a Comment