Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The good, the bad and the ugly!

Not for nothing, but I think on Monday I actually was privy to the good, the bad and the ugly.
I feel slightly scandalous thinking it, but nevertheless, it's true.
I was at one of my favorite bars in Asbury Park, Georgie's, and it was a bit of a crazy night.
I'd just had dinner over at my own, personal "golden girls", and I decided to stop by the bar to unwind, so to speak. Unwinding for me is a martini, a song for karaoke, and possibly a cute guy paying some attention to little 'ol me.
Well I got all of that, and more ... or less.
First I'll start with the good.
It's a really good thing that Georgie's has reopened their kitchen (with a new chef) and is serving food. It's sort of a blessing for someone "blessed" with my hectic schedule. Some nights my busy schedule never afforded me a place to eat a meal prior to having my first martini. By the time I usually got a chance to eat, all the decent food spots had closed, and I had to drink on an empty stomach (I know, I know; you should never drink without eating first. That's what my mother always told me).
Now I can feel at ease having my much-needed martini, and still having the opportunity to eat some food, too! So good job, Georgie's!
Now I'll detail the bad.
Well, it's not all that bad, but for a gay man (or this gay man), when someone wears the same shirt as you, it's a tough blow. Yes, I'm shallow when it comes to my clothing. I don't like to see other people wearing the same clothing as me, and let alone a close-knit bar where you can't really go to a spot where that person won't eventually end up also.
I'm sorry to say that I didn't feel comfortable because I wasn't "standing out" in the crowd. Well, I was standing out in the crowd, but not necessarily in a good way! Geez, it looked like I had my twin brother of another color standing right across the bar!
Yes, it was a little funny ... Hell, it was hilarious, I must admit. But I'll get some therapy for my neurosis over that head-trip of mine - not wanting anyone to wear the same clothes as me. Well, at least - in my eyes - I wore it better!
Now for the ugly.
It wasn't really ugly, but it sure came close!
Now I don't mind a guy hitting on me. In fact, I relish it usually.
But in this particular case, it really got on my last nerve! This guy (who was also drinking a martini or four) started clinging to me. I tried to just go with the flow and be kind. He wasn't my type at all. An aside: I don't have a type at all, but I still know this guy wasn't even in the ballpark.
But he kept trying to make his moves, and since I didn't want to be rude, I just let him hang out with me. A lesson I learned, especially from this encounter, is that you should definitely cut off a potential suitor if you truly feel that the suitor has no potential! I'll know better from now on.
So after I went outside for a minute to figure out if I wanted to stay or go, the guy came outside and sat right next to me, put his arm around me and said something so offbeat, I couldn't contain my disdain.
"If you don't pay more attention to me, I'm gonna go over to that guy and start talking to him," are the words that dripped out of this fool's mouth!
So the gentleman in me literally jumped out the window, and after dealing with him pestering me for the hour prior, I decided to let him have it.
So my response to him was, "You've got two legs and a mouth, so you'd better get to steppin' over to him, 'cause I'm about 55 minutes past being tired of you!" Of course, I said it with a smile, just so he wouldn't think I was a total jerk.
BUT IT FELT SO GOOD TO SAY IT!!
He immediately tried to backpedal and say he was kidding and he didn't want to stop talking to me. But I didn't let him off the hook, and took the opportunity to escape.
Too subtle???
See, this is the stuff I have to put up with ... and all I wanted was a martini! But that martini I had after I gave that guy the 'ol heave-ho was the best damn martini I'd had in a long time!
That is ... until tonight. :)

2 comments:

  1. Eric,

    I KNOW you looked better in that shirt. I know you did.

    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. <-- what she said!

    Also, you unknowingly just gave me an Ericism. "I'm about 55 minutes past being tired of you!" Going to say this even if it's only 15 minutes worth of tiresomeness. lol!

    ReplyDelete