Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hello gay Asbury Park! I'm here!

I'm not sure how my new blog will go over within Asbury Park's gay community. But some things just need to be addressed, and I guess this is as good a place as any.
Yes, this is my first entry in my new blog. And although I've probably lived in Asbury Park less time than a lot of the other gay community members. But in the short number of years that I've lived here, I've discovered a lot about this city.
For a good number of people, it's probably a "shocker" that I'm part of the gay community. But up until recently, I think it's become pretty clear to a lot of the people who were oblivious that I'm part of the gay community.
I'm fine that people know my sexual orientation now. I've never actually been secretive about it; but then again, I've never flashed it like a huge neon light, either.
But living my life in the gay scene of Asbury Park, I've found that some people are true blue, some are phony, and then some are just trying to play the game. It's that way in every community.
I've been trying to play the game as best I can, but I have to admit - I don't really have the stomach to tolerate it. Some gay men are, for the most part, are just after one thing. I'm more than that, so it's been difficult to merge myself in to that situation. But trust me ... I've tried my best.
Now this is going to sound conceited, but it's not meant to be ...
People do respect me, I'm happy about that. But when most gay men see me, they think the obvious - good looking guy, gay, pretty decent body and who cares if he's smart ... I just want to have sex with him.
But I think people are surprised to find out that I'm more than just a body; I have a mind.
And I think some men are disappointed to discover I'm a smart, gay black man.
Okay, enough about that stuff.
I want to make a mark in this community; I want people to look at me with respect.
I've made some great friends in the gay world. Two of my close friends who I spend a predominant amount of time with are partnered, but they always make me feel like I'm their brother. And that makes me happy. I've made good friends with a lot of people in the LGBTQ community. I wouldn't trade them for the world.
Trust me ... I'll discuss these people in my life a lot more in following blog posts. Trust me.
But for now, I just wanted to introduce myself and give a rundown on what the gay community is like.
Just like most everyone else, I've experienced heartache and sorrow from a relationship or two with men in my life. (I'll go into more detail later)
I've witnessed some crazy stuff over the years here in Asbury Park's gay community ...
Gay community members bitch-slapping one another;
Gay community members tossing drinks in one anothers' faces;
Gay community members deliberately hurting each other;
Gay community members hating and disparaging one another.
I'm not sure why, but I'm hoping that I can find out why this all happens within a community that is supposed to be so very unified and loving to one another.
DON'T GET ME WRONG ... A lot of members of the gay community do act civilized and loving to one another, and I totally love to see, well, "the love".
But the ones who act the fool - they know who they are.
But for better or worse, hello gay Asbury Park! I'm here!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric! Happy to see your blog, I'm following! xoxo

    ReplyDelete